"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow"
As a Contractor you will be enjoying many of the perks of being your own boss, but it is important to avoid the pitfalls that come from leaving full time employment.
If you are unable to work for whatever reason then there is little by way of employee sick pay to rely on. Income protection (also known as Permanent health insurance or PHI) can bridge the gap and help to cover your expenses until you are back on your feet again.
What is income protection?
Contractor Financials offer income protection plans that are tailored to your needs as a contractor. A typical plan:
- Will pay a tax free monthly income following a certain period of illness such as 3 months and will pay until you recover or reach your retirement age.
- Offers a one day waiting period if you don’t have access to any savings to bridge the gap
- Provides the piece of mind that you can maintain your lifestyle and protect your family should you be unable to work
The advisers at ContractorFinancials understand your unique needs as a contractor and will ensure that they take key factors into consideration when advising you on your income protection policy such as the way you are paid, market instability, employment status and whether you work abroad.
Income protection plans for contractors should guarantee the following -
- The plan should be suitable for short term contract workers and cover both salary and any future dividends in case your employment status changes.
- The plan should cover you for the job that you are doing now so that the insurer cannot say you are fit enough to do a menial role and refuse to pay.
- Protection premiums should be guaranteed rather than reviewable so that the premium won’t fluctuate with the market conditions.
- The minimum number of exclusions should apply so that it will pay out what you deserve when you need to make a claim.
- The insurer should have an excellent track record of paying out when claims are made and meeting their clients needs.
For detailed information on your circumstances please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01253 600140.
‘Guidance given on this website & by Danbro Ltd's in-house advisor is based primarily on UK regulations and is primarily structured towards clients resident in this country. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the content of this website is correct and the advice offered is up to date Danbro Ltd cannot accept responsibility for it. The advice offered by Danbro Ltd is for guidance only and should not be acted upon without you receiving independent financial advice relevant to your circumstances. Financial advice is given by Contractor Financials, which is a trading name of Contractor Financials Ltd and is regulated and authorised by the Financial Services Authority.’